IEP and 504 Accommodations
STUDENTS WITH AN INDIVIDUAL EDUCATION PLAN (IEP)
A 504 ACCOMMODATION PLAN
- Please notify St. John’s, in advance, by signing the attendance sheet at our Open House or call the school @ 587-8000 ext: 113.
- We require all incoming Freshmen to take the Catholic High School Entrance Exam. The test can be taken with limited accommodations; however, you must apply for accommodations separately. (see test booklet)
- In December, you will be contacted by the Admissions Office to setup an appointment for an interview. At that time you will be asked to bring a copy of the student’s I.E.P./504 ACCOMMODATION, along with additional information. This information will be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Notification of acceptance will be mailed in mid-January.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
Education Law section 3602-c establishes requirements relating to the provision of special education to students with disabilities enrolled in nonpublic school by their parents. As a private institution, St. John’s does not provide any of these services. However, under the provisions of section 3602-c,students with disabilities placed by their parents in nonpublic school are entitled to receive special education services in accordance with an individual education service program (IESP) from the public school district in which the nonpublic school is located (West Islip) while they receive general education from the nonpublic school. Parents must request special education services, in writing, to the West Islip school district by June 1st preceding the school year for which the request for services is made.
The following conditions apply for students with an I.E.P:
- Services must be limited to one (40) minute period of Resource Room services, per day.
- The IEP must be reviewed and approved by St. John’s academic committee on a yearly basis.
- The IEP must not limit the student’s ability to obey school rules and complete all course requirements without any modifications.
- If the IEP presented at acceptance is changed or altered during the school year, the parent/guardian must notify St. John’s and the new IEP must be submitted for approval.
- The IEP cannot require any accommodation other than Resource Room (no more than, one period per day/5:1 ratio) and/or Extended Testing Time. ( Tests are begun in the classroom and completed in the testing room).
The following conditions apply for students with a 504 PLAN:
- The 504 Plan accommodations accepted at St. John’s are limited to the following:
- Extended Testing Time.
- Tests are begun in the classroom and completed in the testing room
- If a second set of books , it must be provided by the home school district
- The504 Plan must not limit the student’s ability to obey school rules and regulations.
- The 504 Plan must not limit the student’s ability to complete all course requirements without any modifications.
- The 504 Plan must not require any change in the school environment.
- If the 504 Plan presented at acceptance is changed or altered during the school year, the Parent/Guardian must
Back to How Do I Apply?